FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Professor dies in SFO CX lounge shower and isn't found for 17 hours
Old May 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
This raises an interesting question: what does an airline do when the passenger checks in but doesn't get to the gate? In my experience, they just chalk it up as a no show and then deal with those consequences.

Is there some responsibility to know that your customer entered the lounge but didn't exit? A logistical nightmare for sure.
Yea I was thinking along similar lines.

CX actually has no idea if the customer left or not. They​​​ should know everyone who entets the lounge due to BP / lounge invite scanning, although in practice they might not know all the guests of members with a +1 or +2 entitlement as they don't always scan guests. But they rarely know if you leave, no scan needed.

However, given this passenger went undiscovered for so long, I'm assuming he was traveling alone. Meaning he had a lounge entitlement of his own due to class and/or elite status. Of course this logic isn't 100pct guaranteed (maybe he was guested in by a friendly FT member, could've been on a lounge mid tier benefits pass, etc.) but seems likely.

So to me, there are three things that stand out.

First, if he was traveling on CX, they didn't even bother go looking for an elite/J/F class pax no-show in the lounge. That's poor form on CX if so, if you know a priority pax entered the lounge, no showed, and don't even bother to sweep the lounge for him. But not surprising at all if so.

Second, if he was traveling on a partner like JAL etc., I think this would be harder for CX to figure out. In this scenario, I don't even know if JAL knows the pax is in the lounge.

But third is the worst and is irrespective of the above...........nobody on staff bothered opening the shower for 17 hours!?!?! Either the SOPs there are badly lacking, or the staff aren't doing their jobs. That's bizarre and a bad look for CX SFO. Due to timing of CX flights, the longest intervals of the lounge not being used is about 10 hours.

RIP to that passenger.