View Single Post
Old May 8, 19, 8:46 pm
Seat 2A

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by KT550 View Post
14. This International Airport (NOT in the U.S.) was the first to have its terminal building integrated with a railway station where you could board trains direct into the city. And the airport is...?

I'll try London-Gatwick for that. It certainly had a railway station in the 1930s when the terminal was about half a mile south of the current (south terminal) location, so it must have been one of the first.

You are correct, Sir! More information can be found below...

Heritage Locations - South East - West Sussex - Beehive Gatwick Airport

I'm currently at CLE waiting for my flight. It should be on a type that is due to be retired from this airline's fleet this year.

Coincidentally, Cleveland Hopkins was the first international airport in North America to have direct rapid transit rail service to the downtown district of the city it serves.

Airport Service | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Additional commentary from WHBM: This is Gatwick. Not the present terminal or train station, but the circular terminal (still there) about a mile to the south, known as "The Beehive", built in 1935, which linked to the adjacent new railway ststion. It was built on the site of an old horse racing course. The connecting tunnel beneath the tracks is apparently still there but flooded, and the train platforms have been razed. It coincided with the adjacent main railway from London to Brighton changing over to electric trains.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 8, 19 at 9:11 pm