FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}
Old May 8, 2019, 12:07 pm
scubadu

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sfcharles1
<snip>
i don’t think it’s a cut and dry as you might suggest. Being good to your most frequent flyers brings them back, and they are the bigger spenders. Paying attention to them (us) is most certainly performing fiduciary duty in a pound wise way. Cutting benefits to the people who keep you in business is perhaps the penny wise thing to do,... but it drives loyal customers away. It certainly has me. I am cutting 150,000 miles away from ual this year, and I’ve spoken to many others who are doing the same.

Yea... you know many keep saying that (usually ones that are angry/unhappy) and literally have been saying some version of these words for as long as I've been on FT. The sky is always falling and there is always a percieved "day of reckoning" coming for the major carriers.

And yet... moving forward in time, the planes of all the big three continue to be packed to the gills and by all indications the elite ranks continue to swell (almost to bursting capacity). These carriers are generally somewhat profitable year in and year out, where previously they were always on the verge of or actually in bankruptcy.

And FTer's have been swearing for years they were going to "quit this game" and no longer chase status or they are moving their business to another carrier.

And yet... the UA, AA, and DL forums on FT seem to be as active and growing in number of users and posts as they ever have been.

Maybe a day of reckoning for these carriers will come, I certainly don't know, but to date, there is exactly zero real evidence (complaints on FT are not "real" evidence) that day is any nearer than it was when I joined FT many, many years ago.

Regards