FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to get a large amount of money out of China
Old May 8, 2019, 1:01 am
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DaileyB
Thanks for the useful replies.

I have several questions. One time about 10 years in the past, I received a check of about $12,000. However, the American bank wouldn't cash it because the Chinese bank had no correspondent relationship with the American banking sytem. (I might be using the wrong terminology) Has something changed or was I simply dealing with the wrong bank? [I seem to remember at the time it was difficult to find American banks that accepted transfers from Chinese banks -- maybe my memory is wrong]

It seems like if you have the bank routing number and account number, you are in pretty good shape as is the case in the US. Don't know what the Swift No. is, so if someone could explain, I would appreciate it.

Also, I am sure everyone realizes that $18,000 cash might not be much for China, but in the US that much cash can cause problems. The Vietnamese mother of a friend was recently traveling to Vietnam with $24,000 cash, and it was seized by the US government. I obviously want to avoid that problem.
1. For SWIFT codes, simply google the name of your bank, and include SWIFT in the search box
2. I still advocate withdrawing cash, and converting to USD (if it's not already in USD)
-you and your son could each physically carry 9k each
3. I rarely wire money from Chinese banks to US banks because I've had issues in the past
-these issues usually get resolved, but are kind of annoying