Old May 7, 19, 8:36 pm
DavefromSt.Vital

Programs: MR Platinum, HH Diamond, Aeroplan Diamond
I chose the Sheraton when I was there in August and was quite happy with my choice.

The Fairfield is out in the burbs next to a highway interchange.

The Courtyard is quite near the Sheraton but has an inferior location. Like the Sheraton, there is a walk (or very short cab ride) to get to most restaurants/bars, however it is down at the bottom of the hill. You either front onto a busy street with no real view or have a harbour "view" through some fuel tanks, docked ships, etc. Almost the entire harbour is lined with industrial/functional uses.

The Delta is the best situated for the convention centre, the hockey arena, restaurants and bars, etc. However, harbour views are looking through downtown so there are buildings in the way.

The Sheraton is a bit further up the hill than the Courtyard so most rooms are above what lines the edges of the harbour so your view is not obstructed. We had a two double bed room in the wing to the south that directly faces Signal Hill and the channel out into the ocean. It was a very memorable view of one of Newfoundland's iconic locations. The picture attached to the room type does not do it justice. I would definitely pay more for it. As mentioned in the other thread, there are lots of air crews bunking at the hotel but they get the non-harbour view rooms. Don't bother with non-harbour views.

The lounge was off the lobby (at least at the time) and access was fairly well monitored. The evening snacks were actually quite decent. Despite being SPG Gold at the time, we ended up with full breakfast in the restaurant because of a hiccup at check-in.

Despite having to walk/cab to get fully downtown I would definitely choose the Sheraton and that view in particular again.