FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annual travel insurance
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2019, 9:53 pm
kokonutz
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by mattack4000
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but my family do 2-3 vacations a year. I have never done it before, but I am curious to see if annual travel insurance would be a good thing for us? The cost is as low as $300 (Nationwide) to $700 with Allianz. I am hesitant on both because they seem to cover very little. $5000 in trip interruption and cancellation would barely cover my airplane ticket, let alone everything else. Some of the coverages might be duplicated by our credit cards too. What do you guys think? Scam or worth it. The rental car coverage would wipe out about $100-200 worth of insurance waiver at the rental place, but the other coverage pay out $1000 at best.
We travel full time so find our Allianz policy to be a good investment for peace of mind: $450 for 2 people for one year. We used it once so far for a quick hospital visit.

I'm not sure that it makes sense for 2-3 vacations a year, depending on where you are from and where you are going.

You don't say where home is, but if you are from the US and your vacations are Asia for a month it's one thing...if it's a week in the Caribbean that's quite another.