FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SU1492 returns to SVO and catches fire 05/05/19
Old May 5, 2019, 7:22 pm
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I see foam on the AC at 1:51 into the full-length video. US Code requires a response time of 3 minutes (Link: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/139.319). What's your personal record?
“Within 3 minutes from the time of the alarm...”

So the question is, when was the alarm issued? I was once was aboard a UA 747 that made an emergency return and landing at SFO due to one of the engines having a problem. The ARFF (fire engines) were awaiting us on the side of the runway as we were landing and chased us for a little bit as far as I could see. Of course, it was otherwise a very uneventful landing for us passengers.

In this case, did the aircraft return without anyone expecting an emergency landing, I.e., did the three minutes start when the fireball was seen by someone in the tower? Should there have been firefighting resources close by? Or perhaps they were? I think we will learn more about this over time.

Disclaimer: armchair airport traffic controller, pilot, firefighter, ...

Last edited by notquiteaff; May 5, 2019 at 7:29 pm