FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US to Italy business class
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2019, 9:06 am
JMN57

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by meunger11

If it were me, I'd take a quick positioning flight to JFK and take Emirates direct to Milan (MXP). Believe me, Mrs. Meunger11 of anybody loves to fly direct, but if you can sell the spousal unit on some bar action in the sky, and potentially first class: you can snag EK a380 first class for 85k/points pp OW and biz is 57.5k/pp OW. You can also shower. Did I mention EK tends to have a slew of seats in F and J on any given flight? I typically see 3-4 in F and 7 in J (I'd get a basic ExpertFlyer membership if you don't have one already). This is not unlike what JMN57 said about going via JFK to MXP.

Not sure how familiar you are with EK out of JFK, but you'd board straight from the lounge - fun little perk for a points F/J ticket.

Milan is beautiful and a ~3hr bullet train ride to Rome. (I'd recommend splurging for the Classe Executive on the Frecchiarossa - my wife and I love it). You'll see the gorgeous country-side on your way, or if you're feeling adventurous, you can hop on and off the regional and visit the pretty little towns along the way. Our friends did this for their 1yr anni and met us in Rome for brunch in The Vatican.

A 10yr anniversary seems worth splurging for on all accounts, including miles, but not what AA provides, which is usually 135k-180k J redemptions OW/pp direct to Europe. If you MUST fly American for whatever reason, look for Saver Awards, but do know they often only have one Saver per cabin. (Again, check Expert Flyer)

I had forgotten that EK has that Fifth Freedom flight from JFK to MXP (I'm pretty much a OW flyer). Good catch meunger11. That is, by far, the best product TATL from North American to Italy. If your itinerary is Rome-centric, it's a small pain to go via MXP. If its Italy-centric, you can probably build an itinerary around going in/out of MXP.

This article - https://thepointsguy.com/guide/booki...t-card-points/ - covers how to get points into EK. Some paths come with steep costs (the taxes for J via Amex, for example, are almost the same price as a RT in business so one might as well buy the ticket. Upgrade from J-F us only 39,000 miles though). All the assumes things stay static for next two years.