FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2019, 6:27 am
radonc1

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I am uncertain as to whether to start a new thread, or perhaps there is an old one. However..

I was originally using MSing to qualify for certain CC benefits. With the passing of Amex's use at SM, I wanted to see if there was any sense to continuing this endeavor for the points.
Just to clarify, I use MSing with CCs not for point value per se, but to get benefits such as status level, etc. (Points were just an added benefit) But I want to look at just how beneficial the points that I receive are as well.
Quick calculation.
At best, using SM, I can get $1000 of MOs for around $8.78. ($3.95 card charge for $500 card plus MO cost of $0.88 per $1000.) (I have specifically eliminated specials such as Staples or OM. I don't use GCM or GC.com through a portal so I do not know the cost using these sites, but let's agree that the complexity in this endeavor becomes greater).
Using this site, the average loyalty program value is $0.01 per point, which means that your 1000 points is on average worth only $10.00 (range $5-$19). (Scroll down to the table labeled "Point value by loyalty program")

So, other than very specific stays (such as stay 5 nights, pay for 4), or very specific sales on specific dates for individual properties, most routine stays now cost a fortune in points. Is there any sense to doing MSing for hotel points? And given the incredible difficulty in using points for airline awards (especially F fares, etc), this is also true for most airlines as well.
Does it make sense to do MSing just to gain points?
Has the world of reward travel been turned upside down by MSing?