FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay to axe Cairns after 25 years
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2019, 11:06 pm
winnipegrev

Originally Posted by antebellum
There's not enough J pax to keep this flight running. I'd say the J load was 55% on my flight. (Jan 2019)
This could also (hopefully temporary) fuel the award seat crisis further, where CX HKG-Australia J awards were constantly out of stock.
If that were the case CX could easily just put on a 24J/293Y regional 33P and even sell the J seats as PY. I think the main issue was FNQ foolishly subsidising Hong Kong Airlines and later China Southern to directly compete with an established carrier on a very marginal route.

Somewhat similar to AC re YEG-LHR route. Those unfamiliar may have fun reading into this. Maybe CX just hasn’t aired their laundry in the same way.
https://o.canada.com/business/air-ca...ted-icelandair

Originally Posted by Ausriver
Will a HKG-CBR-SYD flight be allowed as an additional service to Sydney?
Originally Posted by Unionruler
Presumably yes a la Qatar
I don’t think it would be allowed. HKG-CNS-BNE counted as eating frequencies from the 70x/week service into BNE/SYD/PER/MEL.

Originally Posted by TomYoung
Presumably as a consequence, according to CX's timetable Brisbane will drop to only one daily flight from the end of March 2020. Since I do not fly over night for medical reasons and can't abide QF I shall be forced to go on SQ via Singapore. They call this progress!
May be a bit early to conclude that. CX is just doing aircraft swaps now for the end of October season plus adding a few frequencies in Oct/November timeframe to N.A. March 2020 is a ways away.