FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best hotel in Stockholm on points
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2019, 6:32 pm
konaflyer

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by GUWonder

I used to use points from an above-mentioned hotel program for the Grand. Last I did it, it was 5k IHG points per night, but that’s nearly 8 year old history. There are still ways to use some loyalty programs’ currency to pay for rooms at the Grand hotel, but only the credit card program and OTA program points allow for a decent room at the Grand, a hotel that is more out of the way from the Stockholm C/Arlanda Express area and Gamla Stan/Old Town than the Sheraton and Clarion Sign..
I've been away from this post due to a health issue. Thank you everyone for your insights. I'm healthy now and the trip is on! I did book a room at the Sheraton because we like to have a lounge to come back to after a big day of sightseeing. And it looks like a step up from the Clarion Sign. However, I checked out the Grand Hotel today, and it looks amazing. IHG points no longer work there. It would take 171,000 - 175,000 ThankYou points depending on the room and that is calculating in the CitiPrestige 4th night free. If breakfast were included, I would probably jump on it even without a lounge for the evening. But breakfast is an additional $39 pp per day, and the res is non-cancellable. I just don't know if we'd like to blow through half our TYPs. We might have insurance through the CitiPrestige card if there were a health issue, but that would involve another call. On the plus side, the hotel says it's close to the Old Town. Can anyone advise about whether it is worth these points (only 35,000 more than Marriott + the cost of breakfasts and evening snacks/drinks) to stay there vs the Sheraton?