FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Encore carry on
Thread: Encore carry on
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2019, 12:35 pm
emma69
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
I believe that, when you gate check, they’ll always tag your bag to the final destination.

The Q400s don’t have great capacity for rollaboards, so there is a risk that you might need to check it.

My recommendation: choose a seat at the rear of the plane so you’re in the first “non-status” zones to board ... giving you the best access to bin space through the cabin. Try to be first in your zone ... staying close to the gate during boarding. And, if a Plus/Premium upgrade for that first segment is available during check-in, consider taking it. You won’t get much other than a regular seat near the front, but you’ll get on first and have best access.

Or, frankly, just consider checking a bag. When you’re connecting to a TATL flight, it can be a lot easier and more relaxing if you don’t need to lug around extra stuff during the connection (much less having to worry about getting bin space).
I will certainly see if Plus is available - are you able to just upgrade for part of the journey (guessing the Gatwick leg will be expensive!)

I am checking a bag, and fine with that, it is just I will have a number of electronics / fragile / banned / valuable / medication items in the carry on. I have quite a bit of walking to do in a couple of the places I will be, and a knackered back, so anything other than wheels is very tough. I don't plan on bringing a second carry on item, so what do they do when people have their valuables / electronics / prohibited items etc. in a carry on with nowhere else to stash them like a laptop bag?