FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cheap-ish ways to get to PHL in business from Scotland over New Year
Old May 2, 2019, 3:31 pm
ld0595

Programs: British Airways
Cheap-ish ways to get to PHL in business from Scotland over New Year

Hello all,

Most years, I visit my partner's family over there during the festive period - generally leaving on 26/27th December and returning on the first Saturday of the year. With PHL to lose the 747 next year, I've decided to take the plunge and use my avios to finally experience the upper deck, and it'll also be my first flight in business too.

I've found flights from GLA leaving on the 26th or 27th December and returning on the 4th of January - business on the outbound and economy in the back for 80k avios +£540 and an additional £95 fee to reserve my seat. I know it's not the best value compared to many fares around here - especially in business, but I'm happy to pay it for the experience - especially since I've normally paid about £450 return for economy in recent years anyway. I don't really fly that often and I'd rather spend the extra avios for a redemption flight instead of part paying with avios.

My question is, is there any way I can get a better deal on this? I know this form has some very creative ways to find cheaper ways to book such as adding car hire etc, so I figured to check here before I pay up! I've summarised a few notes here which I hope might be helpful:
  • Ex INV wouldn't really work for me (I am based in Glasgow but don't really want to drive - especially on the return)
  • I'm not too fussed about an ex EU unless I'd save a good amount of money. I had a quick look at Dublin but once I added bags, there wasn't really a saving to be found.
  • I'm happy to leave from Edinburgh or Glasgow on the 26th or 27th of December and return on the 4th or 5th of January, but my dates aren't much more flexible I'm afraid.
  • Not too fussed about booking business in both directions, I'd prefer business on the outbound and happy to slum it back in economy.
  • My avois balance stands at about 85k. I don't really use it much - I've been saving it for a few years for a J flight anyway and collect a few points here and there from the eStore and my AMEX.
  • Although I have a 2 for 1 AMEX voucher, my partner would fly out before me, even though we'd return at the same time. (Not sure if having the voucher can help but it could be worth pointing it out!
Thanks in advance everyone! This is probably one of the best chances I've got to experience the upper deck, and I really appreciate any advice that you can give.