FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Another day, another AA 125 (DFW-HKG 26 Apr) issue (ICN diversion)
Old May 2, 2019, 11:14 am
Austin787

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by GNVGator
Need to drill down on this issue more.

Under what circumstances does AA rebook pax on other airlines?

I dealt with a similar issue coming back from ICN. MX delays caused crew to time out after we already boarded. Flight cancelled. Pulled up ITA and saw a QR flight through DOH that would depart a few hours later or overnight in ICN and get a morning direct on KE to my final destination. Called the EP line, told them the two options and they said basically said that's fine which one do you prefer? Went with KE as it got me home sooner.

So why the disparate results between EPs?

The only other data point that I can add was that the J ticket on KE was booked into a special fare code that, after a cursory google search, appears to be used for interline bookings between airlines. So perhaps in DFWHockeyguy's case the KE flight was nearly sold out and they couldn't accommodate interlines?
A key difference is the cause of each issue.

In DFWHockeyguy's case, the diversion was caused by strong winds, so AA likely blamed the diversion on weather and aren't obligated to rebook on other airlines. Though there have been some reports of agents rebooking ExPlat's on other airlines as a result of weather but that seems to be the exception rather than the norm.

In GNVGator's case, MX caused the cancellation so the agents were allowed to rebook on other airlines.