FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccommodation)
Old May 2, 2019, 10:15 am
DenverBrian
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by JDiver
What’s interesting is the demonization of the MAX, probably by people who have been happy to fly multiple 737s - which had a major design fault that contributed to a number of uncontrolled rudder movement incidents due to the single, double valved power control unit. This resulted in - guess what - two crashes killing all aboard and some other reported incidents ultimately requiring an FAA AD note to order the fix.
First, all that happened in the early 1990s. Half of FT wasn't even born then. Very ancient history. And I clearly remember being alarmed about the 737 at that time, but it didn't affect me much, because I was on mostly 757s and widebodies then, because that's what the airlines flew more commonly to domestic big cities.

The jet era has been punctuated by design failures where that were addressed when the cost of lives exceeded the cost of repair.
That's a roundabout way of describing "tombstone mentality." We. should. be. beyond. this. in. 2019.

The "demonization" of MCAS is occurring precisely because two crashes in the same model aircraft within five months should absolutely never happen in this day and age. We should know better.