FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]
Old May 1, 2019, 10:56 pm
helvetic

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by jaycis
I disagree, unless the OP does not plan on returning to the Maldives in the future.
  1. SR will never again be available at the excellent 60k price that the OP got. It is already 85k now, and it will go to 100k very soon (for a December stay that is, which is what the OP booked). This is in contrast to the WA; Hilton was forced to create a new price point for it, so it stands as the only 120k property so far. Therefore, it is unlikely that the WA's price point will increase above 120k in the next several years. Point being, if the OP only has a limited number of points available, it is unlikely for the OP to be able to go to the SR in the future should this opportunity be given up, and it is much more likely for the OP to be able to go to the WA in the future.
  2. WA will still be less than a year old next April/May, which means that there might still be a little bit of lingering 'new resort roughness' (although one would normally expect this effect to be minimal at a WA...)
  3. I personally think the SR's location is superior.
  4. The OP is apparently concerned about minimizing OOP cost, given the "Super Expensive for Resort Transport" comment. In that case, the OP would do much better at the SR, where the transfer fee is much lower ($695.00 RT incl. tax, compared to WA's $911.68 RT incl. tax), and the OP's Platinum status would provide the best breakfast spread and menu I have ever seen. Of course, WA will offer free breakfast to Gold/Diamond members too, but the OP didn't say anything about that...

Ideally, stay at the SR this December, then try the WA a couple years later (or save those points for somewhere else, e.g. Conrad Bora Bora?).
If OP is in the US Hilton status is very easy to obtain and almost free.

Flying economy (if that's truly the difference between the two properties) will ruin any trip once landed due to jet lag. If that really is his trade-off, I would absolutely go WA.