FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancelled flight. Delay of 15 Hours. What to do.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:01 am
lost_in_translation

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by djtriggz
Hi guys. I have not flown QR in a while as the last 2 times I did I had delays of 3 hours the first time and 8 hours the second time. The difference is this time I’m flying from the UK and my delay is of 15 hours!!

Currently I’m on board a flight from UK > DOH. I got a message on my app saying due to disruptions I have been placed on a flight for tomorrow and the new transit time is 15hrs and 30 minutes instead of the 50 minutes it should of been. This has happened to me every time I’m flying to Kenya on Qatar airways but both times before I was flying from BKK and so could not claim any money back and only a free lounge pass was given.

Im in Economy and have booked the flight on my Amex Gold card so there should be insurance on that? I also have a revolut card metal so should have travel insurance from that aswell.

what do I do once I land and claim what through who? Please help!
Where an overnight stay is required on departures from the EU, QR will owe you a duty to provide hotel accommodation if you request it rather than just a lounge pass this time, which includes transportation to the hotel. Go to the QR transfer desks on landing if there is no one waiting for you at the gate already to offer this and QR should organize this for you. If QR don't play ball and you don't want to spend the night in the airport, I would book my own accommodation and then either bill it back to QR later or claim under travel insurance if that is covered by your policy.

In terms of compensation it depends why the flight was delayed. It will need to be deemed effectively QR's fault that there was a delay and not due to 'extraordinary circumstances' which were beyond QR's control, which are typically thought to include things like extreme weather events. A delay of above 4 hours on a flight above 3,500km (which are both satisfied here) will entitled you to EUR600 compensation from QR, which you'll have to claim by writing to them directly once the flight is over.