FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Attention Economy Class Pax!!!!
View Single Post
Old May 1, 2019, 12:00 am
s0ssos

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I wasn't saying they're not, but there didn't seem to be anything supporting the fact either. Some plastics are better than others, in that they're recycled and recyclable. Of course something like bamboo cutlery would still be better (isn't that what Air Seychelles did?
Nope. If you care to inquire more about the reality of plastics, BBC has a good one on Coca-cola and plastics (and how they fought to put the blame on the consumer for using so many plastic bottles). Coca-cola also said they would use post-consumer waste plastic mostly, and they haven't. Apparently it isn't that easy.
Plastics are usually not recycled nowadays. There are very few countries that recycle plastics, and often they just go in the incinerator. China has stopped taking most plastics for recycling, unless they are very not contaminated. Which are pretty much not the cutlery you are talking about here.

Whether or not bamboo cutlery is better is complicated as well. It is like the age-old question paper versus plastic (bags). Is the bamboo being harvested sustainably?

Now I don't know the plastic utensils on Etihad, but I would presume they aren't re-washable. There are some that are.