View Single Post
Old Apr 30, 19, 9:54 am
bhrubin

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sophialite View Post
I don't think there's anything better in Osaka, but I don't grade these things on a curve unless the pricing is notably different. If I'm paying sub-$300 for a property and receiving 5 star service (but not on par with a grand dame hotel), that's a 10/10 for me. But if I'm paying $600+/per night, the property is asking me to compare it to other stellar properties around the world, and my judgment will be a bit more harsh in that regard. When I stayed at the Fairmont Ghirardelli Square and paid $1k+/night, I gave it a 1/10 because I had just paid $1k/night at the Crillon and the service just wasn't comparable. But then again, the FGS is among the better properties in SF, which is probably a note as to how bad SF is as a hotel market.
You’re entitled to draw comparisons and contrast between brands and hotel rates in different cities, but I think you’ll discover that such analysis will leave you with poor conclusions. Each market has different pricing pressures and very different pressures on the supply and especially demand, so comparing prices between different markets tells you little. You can only compare prices within the same markets to get a decent evaluation of the quality relative to that market.

Anyone will pay much less for 5 star luxury in Southeast Asia and will pay much more for the same in Paris or New York or Tokyo. Even among the exact same brands.

Either way, your earlier surprise about the St Regis brand stands in stark contrast to the fact that the St Regis is the top hotel or one of the top hotels in markets as varied as New York, San Francisco, Mexico City, Osaka, Miami, Atlanta, Moscow, Istanbul, Houston, Bora Bora, Florence, Rome, Mallorca, Punta Mita, etc.