FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Saver Biz (I) vs Econ and miles upgrade (PZ)
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:57 am
cfischer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
I really don't think that this is the case. It may have been true several years ago, but I don't think it's true now. There are just too many counterexamples. I believe that I/IN and PN/PZ are now treated equivalently -- it's just going by status. Now, if you're looking at a CPU-eligible flight, I/IN will be near the top of the waitlist because it's ahead of non-GS CPU. But for a non-CPU eligible flight, there's just not really any reason to believe that this is the case.
Trust me, I know this didn't used to be the case and you needed to convince a GA to put you on the priority list. Since about a year ago this has changed. Multiple experiences with my MIL flying on my miles w/ IN waitlisted. She has zero status on UA ... once she was checked in she was each each time either #1 or #2 on the list, often ahead of 40+. So the IN waitlist clearly put her ahead at the airport without any intervention. She was ahead of me as a 1K waiting for an upgrade on one of the flights.
Can't tell you the limitations, but in my experience the IN waitlist after check-in has put pax ahead for PZ waitlist. Frankly, that makes some sense because you have paid for IN and you are waiting for a seat ... but that is open to interpretation.