FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Evergreen State to Golden State: A trip from the Puget Sound to the Sacramento Valley
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:41 am
Loose Cannon

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Evergreen State to Golden State: A trip from the Puget Sound to the Sacramento Valley

Tour of Duty 22nd April 2019 to 26th April 2019
Part I: 22nd April The Flights Out

Since my last tour of duty I got a new digital camera and also got a newer smartphone after learning the one I had for several years was going to become obsolete in some aspects in the near future. I ended up NOT getting a couple of trips as I was unable to agree with dispatch about some details. One of the trips would have been a good one: Texarkana, Texas to Yuma, Arizona. However I was able to be home and attend my home church on Resurrection (Easter) Sunday. Monday I saw the trip board and requested a trip from Ravensdale, Washington to West Sacramento, California. I was able to come to an agreement with dispatch and I accepted the trip. An itinerary was booked on WN from LGB to SEA with a scheduled 55 minute connection in OAK. The other option would have involved a 35 minute connection in SJC.

I got transport to LGB and checked in and checked bags which weighed 44.5 and 47.5lbs. I opted to upgrade my boarding position on the first flight as I learned of a delay which was going to make for a tight connection. I cleared security after a queue and did not opt out due to time constraints. I still received a partial patdown. My briefcase received additional screening. Total time from beginning of check in to clear of security was 27 minutes.

Southwest #1199 LGB-OAK B-737-700 Boarding Pass A3
Seat 5A Cruising altitude 30,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:00, actual 0:56
Depart: Gate 2 Scheduled 19h45, actual 19h57 Taxi: 7 minutes
Arrive: Gate 32 Scheduled 21h00, actual 21h01 Taxi/hold: 19 minutes

The plane was late arriving from OAK. I boarded via front ramp. It was announced it was 64F at OAK. the plane was full or nearly full. Takeoff was to the northwest. I saw the lights of Long Beach and the South Bay. I saw the aftermath of the sunset during climb. We did not go overwater but hugged the coast. At 0:07 we were over Thousand Oaks. Drink orders were taken at 0:12. I got pretzels at 0:19. I got cup of soda at 0:35. I thought I felt descent at 0:36. Seatbelt sign stayed on for the entire flight. At 0:39 I saw the lights of the cities lining the Monterey Bay and closer I saw the lights of Salinas and descent was announced at same time and it was 63F at OAK. I saw the lights of the Silicon Valley area at 0:44. We landed south to north and arrived at gate 19 minutes late. We deplaned via jetway.

Southwest #988 OAK-SEA B-737-700 Boarding Pass B3
Seat 23F Cruising altitude 38,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:32, actual 1:41
Depart: Gate 30 Scheduled 21h55, actual 21h51 Taxi/hold: 19 minutes
Arrive: Gate B8 Scheduled 23h55, actual 23h56 Taxi: 4 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 15 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway. I had an entire row to myself as the load was only 68/143. It was announced it was overcast and 52F at SEA. Pushback was 4 minutes early but there was a hold at the end of the runway as air traffic control was not allowing takeoffs for a short time. When takeoff took place it was to the north. I saw the lights of Alameda, Oakland and parts of the East Bay. I saw part of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. I saw Richmond, CA and then I saw the Carquinez Strait and the lights of the Vallejo/Benicia area. Then I saw the lights of the Interstate 80 corridor encompassing Fairfield, Vacaville, Dixon, Davis, West Sacramento/Sacramento/Woodland area. I felt a few bumps during climb. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:15. At 0:17 drink order was taken. At 0:18 I got can of soda. At 0:32 I got pretzels. I thought I felt descent at 1:14. Seatbelt sign went on and descent was announced at 1:18 and it was 50F and overcast at SEA. I felt some bumps during descent. At 1:31 I saw lights of the Seattle/Tacoma area and the dark waters of the Puget Sound. I saw downtown Seattle heading north at 1:32. We made a reverse "U" turn and I got a closer look at the lights of Seattle and at 1:36 I saw the Space Needle and I saw downtown Seattle again. We landed north to south and arrived at gate one minute late. We deplaned via jetway.

After I reclaimed my checked bags I phoned up the hotel where I had a reservation. I took the lift and used the walkway into the garage and used the lift again and went to the designated waiting area and phoned the hotel once more. After a wait the shuttle van came and took me to hotel and I checked in and spent the night in Seatac, WA.