FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - International upgrade process
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:21 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Originally Posted by Brett Byers
I fly AA for short flights just about every week. I have earned Platinum statues with 210k miles so I am certainly not anywhere near their their top tier but a regular and loyal customer. I am trying to actually use some of those miles and for me it’s terribly confusing the changing points which always seem to be the highest on the dates I want.

I only need a one way ticket from LHR to ORD (around July 4th ironically) and would like to fly business class for this leg. I am trying to decide between cashing in a bunch of miles to lock this in OR the option where I book economy (still looks like there is room in economy plus thankfully) and, as I understand it, within 24 hours of the flight they will tell me if I am upgraded at which time I will pay something like 30k points plus $350 fee if I remember correctly.

For miles and copay upgrades information, see FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

and in particular learn how upgrade requests are prioritized if you can’t find one available. Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

And with a plan to fly into Heathrow I have been seeing $500+ fees in addition to the miles (an AA person told me something about LHR having lots of fees or something).

No, the AA person was wrong; those fees are on BA operated flights. See Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it ,

though departing (not connecting within 24 hours) LHR or most other United Kingdom airports incurs the UK Air Passenger Duty excise tax: UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)

If you want to spend miles for award seats (all awards are one way, even if you book two as a return trip), see HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

and AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

I realized this is a really general question and my results may very, but has anyone attempted this type of upgrade (versus locking it in by paying the extra cost and miles upfront), and if so how likely and I to have success? I am trying figure out if I have a decent shot, or no chance at all and I need to secure business class upfront.

Any suggestions?
It’s doubtful in my mind you’ll find upgrade inventory to lock in at this point, or even Load Factor Based Uogrades to buy at the airport. DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Good luck.