FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US to Italy business class
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:03 pm
rickg523
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nelsoji
First let me apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum or if something similar has been asked that I couldn’t find. My basic question – and will provide more info below – but what airlines should I be looking to try and fly to Italy from US for good business class.

I am taking my wife on a 10-year anniversary trip to Italy in 2021 (I know – I am early posting this) and wanted to work on at least some basic planning. My goal is to fly from Orlando (MCO) to likely FCO but open to other airports if it makes sense. We would like to fly business class (or possibly first) and use points (hence the early planning so I can earn enough points) and looking for your advice on what product to try and use. This will be my first international trip and while I have flown a ton domestically and experienced domestic US first and business class a number of times – I am excited to do something longer and experience lie-flat seats and all the other amenities that you get to experience on international first/business class – things I have never experienced. My goal is to fly the best product I can but my wife is going to force me to trade fewer stops for anything else.

So – if you were taking a trip in 2021 and looking for a one-stop from Orlando to FCO – what product would you target and why? I don’t need fancy food – would like something that her and I can be close enough to talk when we want to, have lie-flat (hopefully) or even some kind of suite, good entertainment options, and maybe a cool lounge experience during layover wherever that is. Anything else I should be thinking about?

Very much appreciate any responses!!!
I'm partial to international carriers for TATL business class. AF/KL or LH/LX are my usual choices. Though I'm in the minority, I don't mind CDG or FRA, but will opt for the smaller MUC or ZRH if available and competitively priced.
I really can't speak to domestic US carriers TATL hard product, because I haven't used them since the recliner days.
As for crews, that's courses for horses. For example, I like KL service. Many find it cold and impersonal. I also get along well with French people, something others find impossible
I personally will no longer fly BA. The product is imo poor in comparison to others. A very annoying "feature" is the purchase of a 4-figure premium cabin ticket does not include free seat selection until 7 days before departure. You can pay for the privilege, either by buying a full fare J ticket or by paying something like an extra £60 per seat on a Z (discounted, not fully flexible) fare. Essentially they reserve the entire cabin for their high status flyers. Nice for them, but renders the ticket uncompetitive for anyone else. IME, this is also evident in the differential quality of service high status and non-status passengers receive. It's a small cabin and you will notice it. Again, terrific for their FF, but not so much for anyone else.