FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Manila Hotel [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:52 am
evilluc

Originally Posted by YVR guy
Does anybody have any recommendation about staying at the new Sheraton or the Marriott? I'm Platinum member and especially interested in good complimentary breakfast buffet benefit (preferably in main restaurant, not lounge). I'd like to try the new Shearton, but the reviews on the Marriott seem much better.
I stayed at both for one night each on my way to/from the airport about three weeks ago as a Plat. I didn't have a chance to use most of the amenities at either hotel given my short stays (including the restaurants), so disclaimer that this probably isn't a comprehensive view

For me it was kind of a toss-up on which one is better and really depends on what factors are most important. Both great options in my opinion (good service, nice buildings, attached to resort world, etc etc etc) Sheraton is still under contruction so not everything is open / permanent which is something to consider
  • Upgrades - Marriott wins (booked a basic king room in both locations)
    • Marriott - At the Marriott I was upgraded to a very nice balcony room with a view of the golf course in the "west wing"
    • Sheraton - The hotel is still under construction and only has basic rooms to offer at the moment. I was upgraded to an airport runway view which was nice but nothing spectacular (apparently the hotel will be fully complete EOY 2019)
  • Lounge - Marriott wins
    • Marriott - Great quality spread for breakfast + happy hour and the lounge staff were very friendly/helpful. Nice view of the golf course
    • Sheraton - Lounge is currently in a temporary location on a lower floor and just felt out-of-place (to be moved to permanent location later this year). Good variety of options, great staff, and not very busy while I was there (I was there only person there at various points). View of a busy toll booth essentially
  • Service - Sheraton wins
    • Marriott - Good service all around from individuals in general (especially in the lounge) but definitely got that "larger hotel" feel where I didn't sense a personal touch much of the time. Small example: Elite canned letter in the room had another guest's name on it which isn't a huge deal (and I didn't bother to mention it while there). Not bad at all, just not to the level of the Sheraton
    • Sheraton - Excellent service from every single person I came into contact with. It felt like everyone took a lot of pride in the new hotel and really wanted you to have a great stay. Cool welcome amenity waiting in the room when I checked-in which I didn't request (fresh coconut juice, house made granola bars, and a hand written welcome note... Even had fresh ice waiting!)