FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA=>AC in YYZ; why can't I clear customs airside?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:41 am
JimInOhio

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Absolute
No, the "matrons" did the right thing, as the bypass is indeed for AC passengers only. It's always been that way - I don't think it's ever been opened up to UA before. I've had the same experience, on a UA arriving flight - and I've also been on the other side, back when I was an AC SE, before I switched to UA.

AC is footing the bill, which is why they have it for their passengers only. Although you may have only had a carry-on, AC is also the only airline at YYZ which will automatically transfer your checked bags to your onward domestic or INT'l flight - all other airlines must clear immigration, and then pick up your bag at the belt, clear customs, and drop it off before you re-enter the domestic terminal through a security check point. I believe it was back in '15 when AC started this process, for automated baggage transfer.

Think of it as a perk for flying the airline who invests in an airport; like US airports with GS-only check-in lounges and security access points. AC has the similar lounge they built for SE's, at YYZ. AC also offers BMW service to some of their top elites transferring from a domestic to INT'L flight, so they don't have to take the long walk - just like UA does for some GS pax only on United flights.

Let's take IAD as a counter-example.... flights arriving from Canadian airports without a pre-clearance area, or International, are handled 2 ways. UA flights land at the C/D midfield, and passengers can stay airside to pickup and re-check their bags, and clear security directly back into the midfield terminal. All other pax on other airlines must head to the main terminal, pick up their bags, re-check, exit into the public area, and re-clear security. Only UA passengers can stay airside - AC pax have to exit the sterile area.

While I was as pissed off as you when I was denied.... I understand why the flagship airline of an airport enjoys extra perks.
The IAD counter-example is not really correct. There's nothing different with customs and immigration procedures at the midfield facility at IAD as there is at the main terminal. It's strictly a matter of an additional location for flghts that park on the C concourse (which happen to be only UA flights). Passengers processed midfield are not "airside" after immigration... they have to go through security just like anyone else to get airside though they are deposited onto C instead of the train.

If AC could use UA's gates, they'd have the same situation as UA flights. OTOH, I doubt AC would be interested as they likely feel having a gate by the main terminal is much better.

More to the point... I never thought OSS to be an "airline program" but rather a Canada immigration and security program. If so, I think the problem comes down to UA and AC getting their act together to make it work for *A interlining at YYZ, YUL, etc.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Apr 26, 2019 at 10:57 am