FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching)
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:11 pm
flyer4512

Originally Posted by NTP9766
Likewise, I don’t see the benefit in having 9 cards open simply sitting in a sock drawer.
As long as you can keep your credit score around 800 guess it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by AndyGator87
Trying to free up more credit for another AA card - I mean isn't that obvious? What's the point of having 2+ AA cards open at time of application when you only need the one for the free bag?

The consensus on Citi cards has always been no penalty for closing early. With 3 Citi cards (DC, Premiere, AA), Citi gave me a $8.5k limit on a new card, pushing it up to $14.5k total. I was surprised last time that they gave $8.5k again with 2 AA cards opened ($16.5 total). I guess next round I'll test my limit with them as I have $10k in credit (AA x 3 + DC + Premiere).
$2k CL per card shouldn't make or break a person getting approved, if it does they may be playing the wrong game and headed towards paying interest, etc.

As I said above , if you can close cards often and maintain a ~ 800 credit score then it doesn't matter. If you are dipping towards 700 it may be an issue.

My wife has 9 open ( citi) cards and just received $18,500 CL last week on her new card. I think she has 12 open cards all together as we keep her 2 IHG's and her 15K Wyndham open

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 25, 2019 at 6:23 pm