FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Package General Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:44 pm
rny321

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by GrizShel
My recollection from what I've read on this thread is of no one reporting success with the following situation (new reservation at a previously reserved property that has increased 2 or more categories about the old to new cat mapping - and one doesn't have a Points Advanced reservation locked in), but just wanted to check before I call:

One of my old certificates is OC9. It is currently attached to a reservation but I cannot make those dates, and I am about to call to detach the certificate. The OC9 maps to a new cat 6, but the property is now a NC8. In an ideal world I thought it would be nice to pay the points difference from NC6 to NC8 and make a new reservation at that property (and frankly granting such requests, ime, is the way Marriott Rewards use to be before last year's massive devaluation and new less friendly customer policies). Unfortunately, this now a 2 category upgrade that would be required to reserve the very same property.

If I call do I have a significantly > 0% chance of getting such an upgrade approved if I have my new reservation dates ready?
Conversions to a higher category are rarely granted anymore and there are no reports of anyone upgrading to a NC8 that I am aware of. Although the odds of success are very low, I would try calling the hotel first to see if they can change the dates of your existing award. Making a new reservation at the same hotel with different dates and hoping that a CSR can work with you to get a more desirable outcome than simply cancelling your reservation and using your OC9 at a new Cat 6 is unlikely to be successful but might be worth a try.