FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MS on Event Tickets
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:58 pm
Steve in Olympia

Originally Posted by camaross
As mentioned above, the friendship is 100% irrelevant. This is high school business 101 level stuff. Please don't spread misinformation on a topic you are not qualified to discuss.
The fact that I mentioned that the OP was buying event tickets for a friend does not mean that I was declaring the friendship to be the determining legal criterion for tax purposes, or any other purpose. I was merely repeating the OP's narrative facts.
I am qualified to discuss this because for the past 45 years I have been licensed to practice law in both state and federal courts.
So, using what you learned in your high school business 101 class, please tell us how the Internal Revenue Code would distinguish the following two scenarios:
Scenario #1 : You share a restaurant meal with a friend. By prior arrangement, the friend later reimburses you for the cost of his/her share of the meal.
Scenario #2 : Your friend needs four tickets to an upcoming concert, but is allowed to buy only two tickets. By prior arrangement, you buy two tickets for him/her, and the friend later reimburses you for the cost of the tickets.
Please compare and contrast. And please keep your eyes on your own paper.