FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help in regards to damage claim?
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:23 pm
Sneeaky

Programs: National EE, Avis PP
Originally Posted by qs933
If anyone wonders why some locations pull out the magnifying glass and won't let you leave until they question you about every single mark on the vehicle, this is is the reason. Knowing that you brought it back damaged, trying to hide it, and not saying anything is just as bad as the person who did the initial hit-and-run, in my opinion.

For the OP, I think you did the right thing, if that's any consolation. Regardless of fault, if it happened while you had the vehicle, and it meets National's threshold for damage beyond wear-and-tear, it's your responsibility. Stuff happens, that's why we have insurance. In addition to your own insurance, as others pointed out, if you used a credit card that provides coverage (usually secondary), be sure to also follow the terms and conditions for notification.

Also, you mentioned that this was your first time of "a car of the caliber." What kind of car was it? Some credit cards do not provide their coverage for certain types of vehicles, particularly those they consider luxury or exotic. For example, I know one of my cards excludes cars with an MSRP above $50K or any full-size pickup truck.
Hi there and thanks for the reply.
I was upgraded to a MB GLA 250 for the rental, which I thought was nice at first, but I guess I got burned with that. They're asking for around $1300...
Also I did rent under AMEX, but like you said, it is only secondary.