FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalker70

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Or that there's a reason UA hasn't called Premium Transcon "Polaris". I'll still argue the average Polaris fare is far higher than the average Premium Transcon fare, in spite of a little overlap al low end of Polaris fares and high end of Premium Transcon. Week of flying purchase of Polaris-route fare can be pretty high ($10k +). People still want to now why "Premium" doesn't get premium lounge - "Just because" sometimes doesn't satisfy.

You're right on per-hour costs.

Big part of the decision is probably the sheer volume of people that would be entitled to use lounge at both ends SFO/LAX/EWR if Tramscon let in. LAX Polaris lounge definitely not designed for it and would be miserably crowded all the time. Add SFO and LAX-bound passengers toe EWR Polaris lounge and it would be chaos.
I can understand that concern and would argue that UA should then limit Polaris lounge access to the people who really need it (i.e. LA/SF travellers on redeyes arriving at 6 AM). The whole appeal of the p.s. service is that at night you'll get a decent rest (avoiding hotel cost) arriving in New York first thing next day to be productive. Having a shower and breakfast is a must to complete this experience and is something the UCs no longer provide.

Anyone who thought showers should get pulled from the UC hubs should be fired!
​​​​​

-James