FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Job - All Y Travel Policy - Tips on how to get round it?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:27 am
littlefish

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
….., as soon as the possibility of occasional travel was mentioned, we were interrupted with "Well I'll be flying in Business Class then" sort of response.
This is a useful illustration. Seems to me there was an opportunity here to negotiate but the candidate rather found a way to check a particularly large minus box.
It would be quite normal to raise the point in bold and to discuss what the employer saw as "possible" and "occasional"; both of which typically are appealing to me as long as I know where and, given that answer, how the travel arrangements would work. Tokyo and New York would be different for flight options but also I'd been super keen on hotel policies; Melbourne, Dubai or Jo'burg would lead to a slightly different line of enquiry by me.
Keenness to lead / support on different clients, savvy enough to build in veto or push-back when the opportunity moved on to 10 trips a year to tiring and more risky locations … never mind Y or J.