FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gelato in Italy
Thread: Gelato in Italy
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:27 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by snic
Good heavens. How, in a thread devoted to authenticity, could this completely unidiomatic version of the actual aphrosim have escaped comment for so many months??

It's "he wants to have his cake and eat it, too" (or female equivalent).

(I am completely willing to admit that I want to have my gelato aritgianale and eat it, too.)
I don't know where you dug this up. I don't remember. I think it was in a post I made about how there are certain common expressions in English, and there are expressions in Italian that mean exactly the same thing, but they are completely idiomatic, not literal translations. For example, in English we sometimes might describe a person by saying, "he wants to have his cake, and eat it too." I think it's a phrase in a Bob Dylan, "you can't have your cake and eat it too." In Italian you don't literally just translate that and say, "Non puo avert la tua torta e mangarla tu."

In Italian you would say, "vuole avere la botta piena e la moglie ubriaca." That is how in Italian you say you want to have your cake, and eat it too. But that's not the way it's said. Vuole avere la botta piena e la moglie ubriaca." Translated that means, "You want your wife drunk, but you also want your wine bottle to remain full."

I think you might be quoting from a post about how things are said differently, and has nothing to do with gelato. In English, if someone is facing challenge, like passing an important exam or interview, we say, "Good luck." In Italy you say to the person, "In boca del Lupo." That means you are in the mouth of a wolf. How that means good luck, -probably no one knows, but it is obligatory to imediately respond by saying, "Crepe il lupo," which means, "let the wolf croak." So you wish someone good luck by telling them they are in the mouth of the wolf, and if they respond by saying let the wolf croak, they will get good luck. If they don't respond, they will get bad luck.

If someone never picks up the check, in English we might say, "he's a cheapskate." In Italian there is no such translation. If you want to say someone never picks up the check you say, "ha un granchio nella tasca," meaning he has a crab in his pocket that won't let go of his money. Or you can say, "Avere le braccine corte," or he has short arms that can't reach his pockets.

In English if you want a friend to tell you the truth, brutally honest, don't sugar coat it, in Italian the expression doesn't contain sugar. You would say, "Di me senza pelle sulla lingua." That means tell it to me without hair on your tongue.

In English we might say you have it backward, and don't understand. in Italian you would say, "Non prende lucciole per lanterne," That means done mistake fireflies for lanterns.

I'm not really sure what your question is, but that was what I recall that post was about, and it had nothing to do with gelato.

Last edited by Perche; Apr 20, 2019 at 3:35 pm