FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connecting at Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:29 pm
ernestnywang

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Lumpster
Hi, we are a family of 5 from the UK coming to Asia in August and flying with Cathay Pacific to/from Manchester and also with a couple of regional flights. All flights are in business class.

On our outbound flight, we will be arriving in Hong Kong at around 07:00 on a Sunday morning and (hopefully) connecting to the CX691 to Singapore, which is due to depart at 08:10. This feels like a tight connection but I was assured by my travel agent that it is doable and that the 1h 10m we have exceeds the minimum connection time at Hong Kong. Anyway, I’m just keen to find out what our chances of making this flight are (assuming the incoming flight from Manchester lands on time).
1) is there a fast track security for connecting passengers in business class cabins at Hong Kong?
2) is Cathay proactive in identifying and assisting customers with tight connections to move through the airport at pace?
3) worst case scenario, there seems to be a load of flights between HKG and SIN and ours seems to be the first of the day, so am I correct in assuming that we’d likely be re-booked onto a later flight fairly easily?
4) assuming we do make the connection, what’s the baggage system like at Hong Kong - how likely is it that our luggage will also make it on the same plane as us?

Sorry for lots of questions - I’m just trying to get a sense of how ‘normal’ this 70min connection time is and what I need to do to prepare for it. I appreciate that there will be lots of ifs, buts and maybes...

Thanks in advance.
0) You have a good chance of making the connection. In fact, if no delay, you are pretty much guaranteed to make it. The MCT is 50 min.
1) No, but there are many transfer points throughout the terminal. Before landing, the airshow channel will show the gate you are arriving at, and the gate your SIN flight will depart from. Take a look at the in-flight Discovery magazine to familiarise yourself with what route will be the best for you if you are worried about it (or if the flight is arriving a bit late).
2) Yes, if your flight is delayed by more than 25 min. then likely there will be a CX staff waiting for you upon arrival. Look for signs with connecting flight info and names upon arrival.
3) Yes, as long as those flights are not full.
4) CX is usually good at this, but this may be a bit iffy. In case it doesn't make it, go to the SINCX baggage office, leave your address, and it will be delivered to you later that day most likely. In fact, I would personally like it, as it avoids my need to drag bags around.

That being said, if you are worried about connection time and if your flights can still be changed without penalty (either you have a flexible ticket or the tickets are not issued yet), why not book a later flight and enjoy the CX lounges at HKG, which are really good. Although with a 70-min. connection, you can still probably get a bite.