FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Financial Review discussion
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:59 am
CzarZ

Originally Posted by pownation
Long time reader, first time post. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

I've been an AMEX card member for over 10 years, currently hold a number of cards, and thru loyalty and use have accumulated over 400,000 points. Recently I went through several attempts of $10K PayPal purchase linked to one of my AMEX cards, that ended up getting refunded by seller several times. It seems this triggered a financial review by Amex.

After being on the phone with several AMEX reps from Financial Review department, I couldn't get clear answers, but it seems my only options is to provide tax returns to Amex to complete the Financial Review. I find this incredibly intrusive, and I am dismayed that I cannot provide pay stubs or checking/savings account statements. Beyond being comprehensive about sharing tax returns, I don't have a 2017 return (I took a year off in 2017, and therefore did not have to file tax returns for that year). 2018 year tax returns have just been submitted to IRS a week ago, and may not get accepted/processed by IRS in time for the Financial Review deadline. I was informed ahead my accounts would be closed if AMEX does not receive requested information from IRS.

Can anyone provide suggestions, or examples of how they dealt with a similar situation? I have escalated and spoke to a manager-level employee at Financial Review department, and was told that AMEX Financial Review department ONLY accepts tax returns. Again I am dismayed that I cannot provide pay stubs or bank statements.

Thank you again. Disappointed both in the situation and the customer service treatment received from Amex so far. Amex put a hold on my account without notifying me first.
I hear ramblings of people being able to submit bank statements and such during the government shutdown.