FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Am I missing something? Hyatt rewards seems very generous?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:48 am
craigthemif
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
LOL are you looking at Hilton?

We need to be fair though. Bottom line is that Hyatt's earn & burn is not that different from Hilton. Without any promos if I am not mistaken you earn 6.5 pts on the dollar with Hyatt Globalist and 20 pts on the dollar with Hilton. With credit card it's 6.5+5 for Hyatt and 20+14 for Hilton. If you value Hyatt points 3-3.5x Hilton then Hyatt comes out ahead by a bit but Hilton's promos tend to be a bit more generous especially if triple points so in the months where that promo is active, Hilton wins by a nose. No major differences overall. And if you use your Hilton points at top end properties like Conrad Bora Bora or Waldorf Astoria Maldives then the ratio Hyatt:Hilton is lower than 3 to 1 so Hilton's earn and burn is better. I realize not everybody goes to these exotic locations but I am just saying.

All that said, I do enjoy the Hyatt on-property experience and their premium hotels more, plus the 4 suite upgrades * 7 nights each confirmed at booking - this is the best in the industry as far as I know. But strictly in terms of earn & burn the differences are not massive in my humble opinion so let's not bash Hilton too harshly, not that you even mentioned the word Hilton in your post though
Of course one might think that I am bashing Hilton but I wasn't intending to be specific.

It's a more general comment about how some people think Radisson is the best because you get 20 points per $. Or that your credit card strategy should determine your hotel chain preferences. Or that people want fast tracks to status then complain about too few upgrades, etc.

Call me old-fashioned, but the Hyatt award chart has been 5k-30k since as long as I can remember, and award category adjustments are pretty fair. I'll take that any day over dynamic pricing or 10:1 up:down award category adjustments, even if at a given point in time your maths might still work for earn:burn for the rapidly-devaluing hotel chains.