FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrading Flights Between CDG and Asia Using Miles
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:53 am
BobTL

Originally Posted by dbernard2000
Hello!

My new strategy this year for Air France has been to pick up a bunch of Flying Blue miles in addition to my main Delta SkyMiles account.
This way I can upgrade some flights for free, instead of paying high upgrade charges at the airport.

Anyway, I have a trip on May 23 using this routing JFK-CDG-ICN, and the return on 02 June PEK-CDG-JFK.

While many people tell me my way of doing this is odd, I always remind them of the wonderful opportunity I have to facilitate a day trip in Paris by doing this.

I was able to upgrade one of the 4 flights, CDG-JFK, to business. But the other 3 haven't been so lucky. The routing JFK-CDG-ICN seems to be selling decently, so I can see why it's not (yet) available... but the flight PEK-CDG has a seat map that is completely wide open (I see 3-4 "blocked" seats, but "blocked" seats are not assigned most of the time) so this one is throwing me off... Why won't they offer an upgrade with miles on it?

Anyway, I'm wondering if people who upgrade on Air France frequently could offer me any advice. When is usually a "sweet" spot for upgrades? When do they usually open more seats for upgrades with miles?

Any advice helps! If all else fails too I will still inquire at the airport

Thanks!!
Have you called Flying Blue to check availability?
If you have Expert Flyer you can get notifications if upgrade seats will be available.
In theory (that is what FB promised) should every available revenue seat also be available for upgrade.
Be prepared for high redemption rates to Asia. The AF264 flight from CDG to ICN on May 23rd sets you back as an award ticket for 122.000 miles and experience says that upgrade redemption rates will also be in that caliber of miles.