FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premium Fare Deals | 2019 edition
View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:28 pm
onobond
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft

Originally Posted by Misco60
And that's the problem with this thread in a nutshell: the number of side-conversations, off-topic meanderings and "please find me a deal" posts make it very difficult to spot the offers. As a result, the usefulness of what was once a superb resource has declined markedly.

Perhaps we need two threads - one for details of genuine deals and closely-related discussion and another in which people can ask for help in finding a deal. And off-topic discussions should be mercilessly removed.

<snip>
Completely agree. Needs to be split as suggested and the content moderated to keep the thread on track and relevant to all.
Encouraging to read your posts. Some 4-5 years ago I found the TP run thread cluttered with discussions on the best bus seats amongst tour operators in HNL, what hotels that allowed you to smoke on the balcony etc, but also the never-ending requests of how to get 10 TP in 2 months, needing 570 TP in two available saturdays next month or just a repeated question already answered 3 posts upthread. I suggested that the thread be split in the mode of what was done to Mileage Run Deals becoming three fora, as also Premium Fare Deals and Mileage Run Discussions were formed. In the MR and PF Deals, only existing fares were allowed, with one separate thread for every fare, and when pulled/expired it was moved to MR Discussions, where also peripheral logistics and diverse requests could be posted/discussed. Some posters expressed positive thoughts, a couple of the most frequent posters in the thread though no need to change, as nobody had complained before (!)

Last year, having difficulties in finding relevant info amongst the 10-14 ongoing discussions, in a busy period with 50-70 posts per day, meaning if no time to read FT every day, you might have to plough a couple of hundred posts, due to the dilution of the contents. The 2019 TPR thread has short of 1500 posts in 3½ months presently.

IMO, the two BAFT threads of TPR and Premium Fares could be merged, I personally use the fares in the former for vacations too, and occasionally find fares suitable for TP runs, or positioning to one, in the latter. Many fares can be presented with possible routings for those prioritising time, and with a variation for TP optimisation. That means that every fare gets a separate thread, to save time not having to scroll down hundreds of posts to find relevant info. But then all fares that no longer are valid will be moved with headline addendum [fare expired] to the discussion forum, where all requests, and peripheral discussions are directed.

I will post a link to this discussion in the TP run thread, and hope that we can have a constructive around this topic. Maybe best to organise a separate thread for this?