FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:47 am
Kalboz

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Just did a stay at the Marriott Sukhumvit (near Thonglor). My first stay here.
Arrived early and asked if I could be checked in early - the friendly FD agent said yes but that it would be a deluxe room, which I believe is the lowest category room they have (the one I booked) - suggesting that it would not be a meaningful upgrade as a platinum.

I accepted as I just wanted to rest (flew coach for 8 hours)... and whilst I have no regrets on my decision, it is worth sharing here that their standard rooms are by far one of the smallest I had seen in any 5* SPG.. er.. Marriott properties I had been at in Thailand. If size matters to you, more so than getting into the room early, opt to wait it out for a bigger room. Probably not as necessary in places like LM Bangkok, SGS or even the WGS where even the standard rooms are of decent size. Not here. The toilet seat was literally 2-3 meters away from the bed.

Otherwise, a decent hotel. Great time at the Octave during sunset where they sell drinks at half price. Lounge food is plentiful. Spacious lobby. Great plat perks.
I thought it lacked a bit of warmth though. The way staff treated me were very cookie-cutter (akin to WGS or 4Pts perhaps). YMMV but I found the service professional but impersonal. Not a biggie for me though, I did enjoy my 3 night stay despite the small room.
Thank you for the review - but none of them is a truly 5-star property. The Sukhumvit 57 Marriott is a nice business class hotel with barely 4-star designation. The St. Regis barely gets a 4.5 stars but the others, solid 3-4 stars.

The Mandrin Oriental, The Siam, etc. are maybe 5-star properties - many more coming online soon.