FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Meanwhile, talk about the 'Jewel' at Changi Airport
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:27 pm
SteadyAT

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Unfortunately I missed the Jewel opening. Our flight was early in the morning Apr 16, so we knew we would have no chance of seeing it on arrival to airport so we initially considered heading there one evening to check things our.
Our taxi driver informed us that had we done that, we would have been turned away disappointed. He said that it's a brand new place for Singaporeans to visit so people are flocking there. Only people with tickets were allowed in. His family secured preview tickets for the weekend before opening and he said that traffic to the airport was congested, and the queues for some of the vendors were nuts, extending to almost 2 hours for the popular ones. Not every vendor was opened and he felt prices to be extremely high. That said, as they were visiting, he said his wife suggested that for their June vacation, they go early to the airport so they can revisit the Jewel!
When we got to the airport on Apr 16 (a day before official opening), there were signs that travellers must have a minimum of a 5 hour layover before considering a visit to see the Jewel.
Hopefully, the hype will die down by my next trip to SIN so I can visit the Jewel.