FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:50 pm
Qwkynuf

Originally Posted by FullFare
Let me narrow it down to F cabin on 737 AA aircraft. Perhaps I should have done that. That's where I do most of my travel on AA. I only fly F cabin on AA and DL.

On AA F cabin, the recliner gives up his/her space in front of him/her. The recline does not go straight back into the space of the person behind. IMHO, that's how it should be.

I guess the only thing I can do is to appeal to the opinion of the subset of flyers who fly both DL and AA on 737 in F. There are sure to be a lot of them out there, and their opinion would be worth it to being heard.

Thanks
You keep harping on this point. It doesn't make any difference. There is a fixed amount of space inside an enclosed tube. The airline, the designers of aircraft interiors, and to a lesser extent the aircraft manufacturer are not unaware of how the seats function. They were designed to work a certain way, and that way was not an accident. Some seats are designed to not recline at all. Some glide as they recline (a lot of Delta's C+ seats do this). Some simply pivot backwards on a hinge near the bottom seat cushion. If an airline decides to deploy the glider recliners in their aircraft, it is *not* so that you can be more comfortable. It is *not* so that the person behind you can be more comfortable. Those issues are incidental to the real reason, which is that it allows them to decrease pitch while reducing the likelihood of a mutiny among the traveling public.

There is no panacea for this issue. Some believe that if the airline didn't want their seat to recline, they wouldn't have put a button on the armrest which allows the seat to recline. Others fall in to the NoRAAA mindset:
No
Recline for
Anyone
Anywhere
Anytime

Like almost every other subject on FT, no one is going to change anyone's mind.