FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annoying / Dishonest Hong Kong Taxi Drivers
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:10 am
DragonSoul

Originally Posted by evergrn
I have this happen almost every single time at Conrad.
I really resent Conrad's attitude about this. Bellmen really don't put up any fight with the cab drivers to secure a ride for you. I've gone into the lobby to ask concierge for help a couple of times. They tell me they recognize it's a problem but they can't do anything about it. They acknowledge that what the cab drivers are doing is illegal but they say the hotel is not going to report taxi drivers because that just creates more problems. One time the concierge guy had the audacity to laugh in my face when I told him no one would take me to HK Station. He said arrogantly that there's no chance I'd find any taxi to take me there at that hour (~4pm) and completely dissed me when I was desperate with multiple suitcases and small kids in tow.
On the other hand, Intercontinental bellmen really seem to fight these cab drivers on your behalf.
4pm... well 4:30pm. It's taxi-change-over time when the drivers go back to "base" for the next shift. I used to live by one of these change-over places; it was easy to get a taxi there (and to there at 4:30) but a pain otherwise.

The taxi "world" in Hong Kong is small. The drivers could easily boycott the hotel if it made too many complaints. It sucks, but at least you don't have to deal with it on a regular basis.