FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 7+ full-fare Y 75K on 17 person F waitlist ?!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:47 pm
SEA737

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't believe that is correct.

If you booked more than 5 days out, this just means that there are 7 75ks on any instant-upgrade-eligible fare (not necessarily full Y) who booked before you did.
I didn't know that, but looking more into it it seems you're right.

This actually makes me think of something interesting. I purchased hours before the 5 day window opened. However, my reservation didn't show I was on the upgrade list immediately. I brushed it off and figured I'd call later, and when I checked the following day I was on the list. It seems like even though I purchased before the window opened, I may have been added after it opened.

Looking at other FT AS threads, it seems like order is 1) folks on instant upgrade fares added before 5 days, 2) folks on all other fares added right on the 5-day window (sorted by fare), 3) all other 75Ks who buy after 5-day window begins.
What this means is maybe I'm getting hosed and Alaska added me within 5 days (and thus below every 75K who purchased earlier) even though I purchased before 5 days. Might give Alaska a ring and test this theory.