FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best / Cheapest way to do LHR > TYO > DEN > LHR
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:44 am
pythonisman

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by RG1X
That said, I don't know if other carriers are as good as BA when it comes to charging for bikes, so I'd need to look into that anyway. That said, I definitely wouldn't consider having the bike with me for an itinerary like below (!)...
FWIW JL didn't charge me any incremental when I flew SYD-NRT-HEL-LHR a couple of years ago when I relocated from Aus to the UK. They were the most generous w/ luggage allowances that I could find at a decent price one way also, J pax w/ status afforded me 4x 32kg bags and the bike box made it with zero damage.

Only thing that freaked me out was getting a call in the NRT lounge to come to security as they'd found a CO2 canister that I'd forgotten about in a saddle bag - I thought it was bad news but the nice chap just photo'd it and taped it back up for me (it was under their allowable limit and packed to their satisfaction).

A bit more on-topic, I've looked into OW explorers a little before and am not sure there's much variance in price based on routing, in business I think they're all just "expensive".
Without the bike, if time allowed, I'd prob try and find an ex-EU - TYO fare (and back, and then the same to DEN rather than joining them together - but obvs w/ a bike that's a lot more handling to potentially go wrong...