FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:30 am
WHBM

Programs: BA
Air France operated the 990 with a bare metal fuselage. So far as I can recall, Swissair and KLM were the only European operators of the 880.
The Air France Convair 990 was operated on, of all routes, Paris to London, several times a day, pending the delivery of their first 727-200s, and painted in a partial Air France livery. Way back in the thread I posted about seeing it at Heathrow. it was leased from and flown by US supplemental carrier Modern Air, who had several of them, and who had a base in Berlin at the time for holiday flights to the Mediterranean with them.

As far as I recall, Swissair had a couple of Cv880s, lent by Convair pending the delayed delivery of their Cv990 order. SAS ddin't have the 880 but did have two 990s for several years. KLM I don't recall having any Convair jets at all. The other European operator I recall of the 880 was Air Malta, who used to lease in during each summer season whatever they could find, and in the 1970s had a Convair 880 on several occasions, ex-Cathay Pacific, and mostly still in their livery, run for them by an oddball charter operator from Singapore, with a USA tail number. It turned up from time to time at Manchester, among other places.

The other, always rare, Cv880 sighting possible in Europe was Japan Air Lines, right at the start of their European flights they did not have enough DC-8s, so the Convair was scheduled for the first few months.