FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:51 pm
Adam1222

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Same, 100%.

That said, I do enjoy researching the idea of audience/community building, though, and it's fascinating that TPG is the "winner" (from a purely financial/viewership perspective) of the titan loyalty blogs. I'm not sure that Gary nor Ben ever thought as big as TPG did, nor do I think they're as comfortable being the main character in their blogs, but TPG clearly took some risks (and continues to as the line between editorial and marketing is muddied in all industries, not just this one) and they've paid off.

It's the same as me not necessarily agreeing with certain US presidents but can remain impressed with their capacity for building an audience.
I guess, except at this point TPG the blog was sold so many years ago that I'm not sure how much of the current direction of the blog is attributable to Brian versus the people who bought it from him (recognizing that entity has since been sold itself).