FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Notre Dame is burning
View Single Post
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:04 pm
trooper

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I don't think we can say that they deserve apologies yet, just as we can't say whether they deserve criticism, because we don't really know whether they did a good job or not. Yes they saved the building and impressions today are that they did reasonably well in so doing, but could they have done better? I have no clue.

Looking at Grenfell Tower by way of example, the firefighters weren't the focus of criticism in the aftermath, but it's become quite clear that they failed on multiple counts in quite serious ways.

At this stage, I don't think it's worth commenting either way on the firefighting job at Notre Dame, other than of course to commend their bravery.
Im sure a comprehensive enquiry/debrief will be conducted to look for ways to do better in future. That is as it should be.

What will ALSO happen of course is a great deal of "Monday morning Quarterbacking" People with all the time in the world to calmly go over the smallest of details (again and again) will rant about less-than-optimal decisions made by those onsite under all the stresses of being on the spot. Ridiculous, but it happens every time.

Im with you on that on that last comment. The account of the Paris Fire Brigades Chaplain and other volunteers saving so much from the fire is quite inspiring. Given that the Paris Fire Brigade is actually part of the Army (trust the French to do things differently ) I would hope an appropriate commendation or decoration is forthcoming.