FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Notre Dame is burning
View Single Post
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:01 pm
SEA-Flyer

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How close can people (tourists, etc.) get to the remains of the cathedral now? I assume that the entire island was never closed off or evacuated, although I understand that this was considered.

BTW, the way I remember the location is that the back of the cathedral (convent, small graveyard, cloister, etc.) goes to the point of the island and would go to the water (with a street but no buildings being between cathedral "property" and the river) but when one goes toward the main entrance, there are rows of small tourist shops and restaurants on both sides, although the buildings would only be two or three stories high. So I'm thinking that fire boats could have reached some of the cathedral, but not the part near the towers and main entrance.

I went by it on my way to the office this morning. Access to the island is restricted - the closest open bridges were Pont au Change and Pont Saint-Michel. On the island you couldn’t get closer than that.

Best views were from the left bank, down by Shakespeare and Company.