FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annoying / Dishonest Hong Kong Taxi Drivers
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:35 pm
Steve M

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
from TST to the Air Express station and the fare was only about $3-4 USD. The driver was disappointed at the short fare but that's what I clearly indicated in the app.
IIRC, the Uber app the driver uses doesn't display your destination until the ride starts. This prevents them from ignoring the short trips.

She wanted to know if I wanted to go to the airport but I had a return ticket on the train.
Cabbies will do this as well, especially if there's more than one person. At two people, it's not much more for the cab, and for 3 people a cab is cheaper than the train.

Originally Posted by garykung
The needed penalty is in fact the revocation of taxi endorsement on the license. This is the only way to deter drivers from violating the taxi law.
At the very least, a 30-day revocation upon first offence. If you make the suspension penalty only for repeat offenders, that gives every driver a "get of jail free" card for their first offence, considering that the typical fine is small in relation to what they make by cheating. That, combined with the low likelihood of getting caught and prosecuted, would mean that the status quo would continue, since most drivers never get a first conviction.

Prostitution is not illegal per se in Hong Kong.
The reference was to "chinese women “working” in the Mong Kok area." Prostitution may not be illegal, as long as the person doing it has the right to work in Hong Kong. But if they don't, then they're violating their condition of stay as an illegal worker even if they are otherwise legally present, and even if they're "self-employed" and no pimping is involved. I suspect that the above was not referring to Hong Kong Chinese.