FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What’s your best “I can’t believe that I made that flight” story?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:18 pm
bitterproffit

Programs: HH Diamond
We were in Isle Royale National Park and waiting on a float plane to take us to Hancock MI. We had a flight at 11:00 AM from Hancock to ORD on United.

The front desk at the National Park Lodge tells us the plane is not leaving Hancock until the fog lifts. It finally lifts and shows up at 10:30. About 2.5 hours late.

There is is no cell phone service on the island, but the pilot of the float plane can communicate with someone in Hancock. He has them call his buddy who runs the only taxi service in town.

We land in the river in Hancock at 11. Now that I have cell service I can see the United flight is delayed. We all check in online. This old guy in an old Buick is waiting to take us the 5 miles to Hancock airport. He never gets over 35 mph. We know there is no chance but we keep going. We get to the tiny airport and see the United plane still there. He drops us off up front, it’s too late to check bags, but we can gate check them. Get the bags through TSA by dumping all out all out leftover liquor in bins. We get through the tiny security area right as they start boarding the plane. We take off 5 minutes later at 11:30 in total shock that we made it.