FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westjet future B787 flights to LHR over LGW
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:24 am
FlyerTalker70

Originally Posted by Error 601
I don't think I have met a business traveller who likes LHR for any reason other than their preferred lounge. While most of the complaints I head about LGW from British people are trivial to ridiculous.
There are reasons why LHR would be preferred to over LGW, particularly if you fly *A airlines like AC and have elite status:
  1. The terminal is brand new
  2. Access to 4 *A lounges at the airport (AC,UA,SQ,LH) whilst flying in Y some of which are miles ahead of the Number 1 and similar lounges found at LGW
  3. Access to fast-track security whilst flying in Y
  4. Speedy immigration starting this Summer when Border Force opens the eGates to Canucks, Yankees, Ozzies and Kiwis
  5. Complimentary upgrade to First Class on Heathrow Express
  6. Cheap travel from central London to Heathrow on the Jubilee line.
That being said, for an airline like WS, I don't really see the point in them making the switch. The slots they need to have to land in to LHR will no doubt be expensive to purchase and besides point 4 and 6 there really are no benefits for the typical WS business traveller. Much better for them to invest in lounges and on-the-ground facilities that have been sorely lacking from their network for decades. One of the reasons I chose *A over the likes of WS and OALs is the fact I'll get business lounge access whilst travelling in any class. Being able to print out documents before a meeting or take a shower whilst connecting on a long haul journey are way more important than specifically the airport I'm taking off from.

Safe Travels,

James